The Anglican Church has existed in Echuca since the beginning of (white) settlement in the area. Regular Sunday services began in 1863 supported by the founding families of the township. In 1864 a sizable block of land was gazetted as a church reserve. Shortly thereafter, the prominent Bendigo architects Vahland & Getzschmann were commissioned to design the church building. The foundation stone was laid in 1864 and work commenced thanks to the generous donation of bricks by prominent Echuca figures such as Henry Hopwood, George Redman and M.J. Webb. The first public service was held on the 7th September 1865, although the building was not yet finished or fully furnished. The transepts were begun in 1866 and the building was completed with the addition of the nave in 1875.
The building is constructed of brick with a slate roof. The small heavily buttressed Germanic apse contrasting with the higher gables of the nave and transepts is typical of Vahland’s work in other places such as Dunolly and Rushworth. The building includes attractive stained glass windows, those in the apse possibly by William Montgomery, of Melbourne. The central stain glass window in the sanctuary, which depicts Christ the Good Shepherd, was donated by W.W. Moore, a prominent figure in the town of Echuca. It is flanked by two floral windows which were donated by parishioners of the time.
The Sunday School Hall was completed in 1891, but it wasn’t until the 1980s that the two buildings were connected through the additional of the Narthex. The organ, which is still regularly used, was completely restored in 2011-12 thanks to the generous support of parishioners and members of the community.
Over the years the Anglican Church in Echuca has enjoined a variety of styles of worship. At present the church holds two services on a Sunday, a 8:30am Traditional Communion service following the Prayer Book, with a mixture of hymns ancient and modern. The second service at 10:30am is a more relaxed service which is more varied in style with contemporary music and something for those of all ages.
Through the week the church is home to a wide range of activities including Bible studies, a singing group and an op-shop.
Please contact us for more details.
We meet at 500 High St, Echuca. Phone: 03 5482 1105. Email: info @ christchurchechuca.org